二 (Two) Kanji Discussion

Comments from the kanji page for 二 (Two) - Join the discussion by posting a comment!

二 - Two

This kanji looks like the Roman numeral II (two) laying on its side.

Grade: 1
Strokes: 2
JLPT Level: N5
Readings: ニ, ふた, ふた・つ

This picture has gone though quite a few changes since the beginning.

Here’s one of the originals. Back in the day, uchisen only had black and white pictures and looked much more basic than they do now (as you can tell).

As we started moving toward color pictures, here’s what @Saori came up with:

It resembles the final picture much more but is very muted when compared to the final picture. This is the style we were thinking about going with, but liked full-color more in the end.

I have a silly question. Are the strokes the same length or is the top stroke shorter than the bottom? Thank you! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Good question! The top stroke should be shorter than the bottom :slight_smile:

1 Like

What word would the symbol make if the two lines were the same length?

1 Like

Thanks for the question!
It wouldn’t make any other kanji if they’re same length, so people would probably still think the symbol as 二 (two) from the context. However, some may see it as an equals symbol (=) :grinning:

1 Like

Oh! Cool, thank you so much! :smiley:

1 Like

Asking here because I don’t know where else:

I see a vocab button. Is the vocabulary at some point going to appear in my feed also?

Is there going to be pronunciations at some point, or is the whole point of the app about kanji (and vocab) reading “only”?

:nerd_face:

Replying to myself since I don’t have the right to edit my post anymore:

I do see the vocab propositions in my feed, I was just confused to see it as “capable vocab” and not just in the feed like any other Kanji, following a lessons order. Or is this coming when I get the pro version? (Asked about that in another topic)

That’s actually coming in an update! We’ve been thinking about ways to integrate vocab into the feed and have come up with something, so stay tuned!

what does it sounds like though i know its nii